Saloon rating is associated explicitly with catering activities and hospitality services of merchant navy ships. It is a proper certification course of six months including pre-sea training. In this period the candidates learn about the processes, techniques, and way of running catering department aboard a merchant navy ships.
In India, several maritime institutes offer saloon rating courses for those candidates who clear the interview and written test. This is the only process of admission and after that selected individual for course undergoes the training program of six months. After the completion, of course, the paperwork, documentation and information submission process is administered and the deserving and accomplished candidates get CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate). As per the criteria and rules, the persons who own the CDC are eligible for joining merchant navy ships and particularly catering department.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Age should range between 17.5 to 25 years
- The minimum qualification required is a 12th standard pass (minimum 40% marks) with any stream and mandatory English subject (as per the guidelines of merchant shipping
- The candidate needs to be fit physically as well as mentally especially in case of eyesight
- Minimum Height should be 157 cm
- Minimum weight should be 48 kg
- Candidate should have perfect eyesight
- Should be free of color blindness problem
- International Maritime Institute
- AMS Nursing Maritime and Hospitality College
- Seamen Ship Management Pvt. Ltd.
- Delhi Maritime Academy
- TMC Shipping
- B.P. Marine Academy
The career prospect of the person in saloon rating displays a positive and developing scope as they can start their professional journey by joining on ranks like mess boy, steward or assistant steward. Further, gradually they can grow with profiles/ranks of a second cook, cook, and chief cook. The salary of catering officials ranges between Rs. 90,000 to 1, 30,000 per month (approx). However, the salary depends and varies from company to company and modes of placements.Tags: westline crew, westline ship, westline shipping, Westline Shipping group, Westline shipping management Pvt ltd