GME stands for Graduate Marine Engineer which is a course of engineering in merchant navy. It is a residential course of one year that trains candidates for being familiar with machinery and equipment found onboard a ship. GME transforms the candidate to be fit for making a glorious career in the merchant navy and explore the life at sea. The course covers different aspects and topics of engineering such as Marine Electrical and Electronics Systems, Naval Architecture, Hydraulics, Communication Skills, Marine Machinery, Marine safety engineering, and Marine machinery.
When the student/individual completes the course successfully, then he/she is given an Indian CDC (Continuous Discharge Certificate). The candidates are having CDC get exempted from a written examination of Part-A (Class four). After that, the person will get the post of the fifth engineer in the department. During completing the six months of sea service MEO Class four Part B exams are conducted and then 12 months of sea service is extended.
Growth and Salary
This department of merchant navy shows a satisfying scope of development in all aspects. After gaining the Class four Certificate of Competency, one can take over the responsibility of Marine Engineer on ships. Once a candidate enters the department then gets promoted on different ranks by appearing in examinations and courses and gets position according to their ability and performance. In general context initially, their salary ranges between Rs. 40k-60k per month
- The candidates who have B.E./B.Tech. Degree in Mechanical or Naval Architecture is qualified to pursue this course. Some institutes/colleges keep minimum marks (50%-60%) criteria during the selection of eligible students.
- The person/applicant/student should be mentally stable and physically fit
- Eyesight should be normal
- Candidate should be free from any eye ailment like color blindness or night blindness
- Maximum age should be 28 years while pursuing this course