Westline Shipping is one of the finest shipping as well as actually provides Merchant Navy undergraduates with the quality education. Electro Technical Officer is the designated person on the merchant/naval ships that monitors all electronic equipment and machines to maintain as well as enhance the efficiency of the vessel. An ETO is responsible for the operational safety of the ship. These electrical officers work in association with the deck crew and engineering department. They are the officials who manage power generation and looks after equipment like lifts, electrical bus system, and reefers.
There are various institutes and colleges which offer ETO course for six months in India. This course covers areas like Fire Prevention and Safety Technology, Marine Electronics Systems, basics of marine Engineering, and Marine Electrical Systems.
- The candidate should be 12th passed with minimum50% marks in PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Math) group
- Three years of diploma or bachelor’s degree of 4 years is the mandatory requirement
- Diploma holders should possess a minimum 60% marks and degree holders 50% marks
- English is compulsory as a subject
- Mental and physical fitness as per the norms and criteria of the merchant navy
- Maximum age limit is 35 years and a minimum of 18 years
Career and Growth
After completing the training, the candidate can hold the job of Electro-Technical Officer on merchant navy ships. This job profile in merchant navy gives an opportunity for financial elevations. The initial salary ranges from Rs. 30k-40k per month. However, the salary depends on the quality of the institute from where one has completed the course, placement, company, and designation of the person, etc.
Colleges and Institutes
There are a number of colleges and organization which offers ETO courses, but some of the recognized institutions by DGS (Directorate General of Shipping) are enlisted below:
- Coimbatore Marine College, (Coimbatore)
- Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, (Karjat, Maharashtra)
- Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, (Lonavala, Maharashtra)
- AMET University, (Chennai)
- B.P. Marine Academy, (Navi Mumbai)
- RL Institute of Nautical Science
- Sri Chakra Maritime College