Westline Shipping is among the finest shipping as well as delivers Merchant Navy undergraduates with a decent education. Joining merchant navy or getting a job in the stream after engineering is not a difficult task. One can go for marine engineering by pursuing a one year course of GME (Graduate marine engineering) after completing mechanical engineering. As a marine engineer, the candidate can dig a lot of scopes to grow. The most satisfactory part of opting GME course is that after engineering the cadet doesn’t need to go through four years of engineering training. Marine engineering focuses on the procedures and techniques involved in designing, operation, and manufacturing of ship machinery and engines. These merchant navy engineers also supervise the engine crew during the operation of marine vessels.
Marine and mechanical engineering courses offer various subjects in common which makes an easy path for a mechanical engineer to achieve an additional degree in the marine sector and consequently opens the new dimensions of excellent opportunities. In the present scenario, there is a crisis of maritime officials/professionals in the merchant navy thus a person with already having a mechanical engineering degree can grab this opportunity to build his/her career. One can also choose to work in engine rating or deck rating depending upon the interest, skills, and specialization. A marine engineer administers and handles the all technical issues on merchant navy ships.
- The candidate must have gained a minimum 50% marks in English language (10th, 12th, and degree exam)
- Maximum age bar is 28 years old
- Minimum 50% marks in final year of graduation (B.E./B.Tech. Mechanical engineering or Naval Architecture)
- Mental and physical fitness
Prominent Institutes Offering GME Courses
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies
- Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd
- Academy of Maritime Education and Training
- Vel’s Academy of Maritime Education and Training
- International maritime institute Ltd.
- HIIMT College
- Chidambaram Institute of Maritime Technology
- Mangalore Marine College
- Coimbatore Marine Center
- Maritime Foundation
- Institute of Maritime Studies